Whilst I think there is some merit to this statement, I was horrified as I LOVE TO BAKE! In fact, I have just decided to join the Creative Cookie Exchange run by Laura (The Spiced Life) and Rebecka (At Home with Rebecka) after my very good friend at Made with Love joined the group.
Each month an ingredient or theme will be selected and then we all have fun baking and sharing our creations.
This month's theme is Back to School
As the kids return to school tomorrow, after a two week holiday break, I thought a treat was needed and chose these
These biscuits were a delicious treat and look fabulous. A combination of an extremely short spiced biscuit, sweet vanilla flavoured icing and strawberry jam. Definitely for the sweet-tooth.
I made them with Strawberry Jam and perhaps the tartness of the Raspberry Jam would have been better. However, my kids loved them!!!
125g butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 cup icing sugar sifted
1/4 teaspoon raspberry or vanilla essence
A few drops of pink food colouring
1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam (approx.)
2 tablespoons white sugar
A drop or two of pink food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350F.
2. Cream the softened butter and sugar in an electric mixer and light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and beat well.
4. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice and cocoa.
5. Add to the butter mixture and combine to form a firm dough.
The dough will be very crumbly but will come together.
6. Roll out the dough on baking paper to 3mm thick.
7. Cut out 6.5cm circles and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
8. Re-roll any scraps. This may be a little harder to roll but can be used for the bases if not perfect.
9. Bake at 180c/350F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
10. When cold ice half of the biscuits and sprinkle with the coloured sugar.
11. Spread the other half of the biscuits with jam and place an iced biscuit on top.
Sift the icing sugar and mix with flavouring of your choice and colouring. Add sufficient water to make a pink icing of spreading consistency.
Place the sugar and food colouring in a small ziplock bag. Seal tightly and shake the sugar and rub through the colouring until an even colour is obtained.
Tip: It is a good idea to fill them with jam as you need them so the biscuit doesn't go soft.
1. Write a blog post with recipe and original photo (please include some language here specific to that month’s theme). We would like the recipe to be one you’re making for the first time, and photos must be original.
2. Post the Cookie Exchange logo somewhere on your blog post so others can join in the fun:
4. LIKE the Creative Cookie Exchange Facebook Page
5. FOLLOW the Creative Cookie Exchange Pinterest Board
6. LINK your blog post below using the Linky tool